UNESCO announced October 5 as World Teachers’ Day in 1994. The day is celebrated by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) along with United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), International Labour Organisation (ILO) and Education International.
World Teacher’s Day 2020 theme
The theme for World Teachers’ Day 2020 is ‘Teachers: Leading in crisis, reimagining the future’. As the Covid-19 pandemic affected the education process thus creating challenges for teachers across the world. It created a need to revisit the method of giving education. Teachers have had a significant duty in providing remote learning and make education accessible.
World Teacher’s Day 2020 history
World Teacher’s Day is a big step made for teachers on October 5, 1966, during a special intergovernmental conference summoned by UNESCO in Paris. It adopted the UNESCO/ILO recommendation regarding the status of teachers in cooperation with the International Labour Organisation (ILO).
World Teacher’s Day significance
The UNESCO/ILO recommendation describes the rights and responsibilities of teachers. It also puts forth the authority and obligations of international standards in the initial preparation, education, recruitment, employment, teaching and learning conditions.
Since its assumption, it has been considered a significant set of guidelines to promote teachers’ status in the interest of quality education.
World Teacher’s Day 2020 celebration
World Teachers’ Day 2020 is an occasion to celebrate the profession of teaching across the globe. Amid the Covid-19 pandemic, there has been a rise in challenges faced by already burdened education systems.
It is a time for us to join hands with teachers to protect the right to education and get away with the difficulties posed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
World Teachers Day discussions will also address the duty of teachers in constructing resilience and giving shape to the future of education as well as the teaching profession.
World Teacher’s Day 2020 quotes
- Teachers can change lives with just the right mix of chalk and challenges—Joyce Meyer
- The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called ‘truth’—Dan Rather
- A good teacher is like a candle – it consumes itself to light the way for others—Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
- The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires—William Arthur Ward
- I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework—Lily Tomlin
- A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops—Henry Adams
- I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well—Alexander the Great
- Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit—John Steinbeck
- Teachers, I believe, are the most responsible and important members of society because their professional efforts affect the fate of the earth—Helen Caldicott
- The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts—C. S. Lewis