- Read the following passage and answer the questions.
Marie curie was one of the most accomplished scientists in History. Together with her husband, Pierre, she discovered radium, an element widely used for treating Cancer, and also studied about uranium and other radio active substances. Pierre and Marie’s amicable collaboration later helped to unlock the secrets of the atom.
Marie was born in 1867 in Warsaw, Poland, where her father was a professor of Physics. At an
early age, she displayed a brilliant mind and a blithe personality. Her great exuberance for
learning promoted her to continue with her studies after high school. However, she became
disgruntled, when she learned that the University in Warsaw was closed to women. Determined to receive a higher education, she defiantly left Poland and in 1891 entered the Sorbonne, a French university, where she earned her master’s degree and doctorate in Physics.
Marie was the first woman to be given a professorship at the world famous university. In 1911
she received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for isolating radium. Although Marie Curie
eventually suffered a fatal illness from her long exposure to radium, she never became
disillusioned about her work. Regardless of the consequences, she had dedicated herself to
Science and to reveal the mysteries of th Physical world.
- The Curie’s’__________ collaboration helped to unlock the secrets of the atom.
a) friendly b) competetive c) courteous d) industrious
- Marie had a bright mind and a ______________ personality.
a) strong b) light hearted c) humourous d) strange
3. When she learned that she could not attend the university in Warsaw, she felt________
a) hopeless b) annoyed c) worried d) None of the above
4. Even though she became fatally ill from working with radium, Marie Curie was
a) troubled b) sorrowful c) disappointed d) disturbed
5. Which element is widely used in cancer treatment ?
a) Uranium b) Barium c) Polonium d) Radium
II Choose the appropriate answer to complete the following sentences.
- Who is going to________ the child while you are away ?
a) look on b) look forward c) look for d) look after
7. If anyone calls, tell them ________ at home.
a) I was not b) I have not been c) I am not d) I had not been
8. ____________ happens, I will support my friend.
a) Whoever b) Whatever c) which ever d) however
9. We wish we visit China.
a) have b) were c) can d) could
10. I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host, of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the the breeze.
What is the rhyming scheme of the poem?
a) aabbcc b) abaacc c) ababcc d) aaccbb
Read the following poem and answer the questions.
As a white candle
In a holy place,
So is the beauty
Of an aged face
As the spent radiance
Of the winter sun,
So is a woman
With her travail done.
Her brood gone from her,
And her thoughts as still
As the Waters
Under a ruined mill
- The subject of the poem is_____________
a) Beauty of youth b) Beauty of Middle age
c) Beauty of old age d) Beauty of a white candle.
12. The word ‘radiance’ means
a) Beauty b) Shining brightly c) Morning d) Cold
13. The aged face is compared to
a) setting sun b) a white candle in a holy place
c) rising sun d) mid day
14. Which is not the synonym of the word ‘destination’
a) target b) early morning c) landing place d) aim
15. Choose the correct synonym for the underlined word
The tardy arrival of John delayed the function.
a) easy b) fast c) late d) morning