Gandhi Jayanti 2020: Mahatma Gandhi an Indian lawyer, politician, social activist, and writer was born on 2 October, 1869 at Porbandar, India. His role in the freedom struggle is not forgettable. His non-violent protest or satyagraha achieved political and social progress. Mahatma Gandhi, the name is now one of the most universally recognised on the Earth.
His full name is Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi who was known to his various followers as Mahatma, or “the great-souled one”. He was well known for his ascetic lifestyle.No doubt, his life and teachings inspired several activists including Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela. He was the leader of the non-violent independence movement against British rule.
Inspirational and Famous Quotes by Mahatma Gandhi
1. “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
2. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
3. “The greatness of humanity is not in being human, but in being humane.”
4. “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.”
5. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
6. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
7. “If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. We need not wait to see what others do.”
8. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”
9. “An ounce of practice is worth a thousand words.”
10. “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
11. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
12. “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment.”
13. “Hate the sin, love the sinner.”
14. “Seek not greater wealth, but simpler pleasure; not higher fortune, but deeper felicity.”
15. “Our greatest ability as humans is not to change the world, but to change ourselves.”
Gandhi Jayanti 2020: Wishes and Messages
1. Let us follow Gandhi’s teachings and practice ahimsa always. Vande Mataram! Best wishes on Gandhi Jayanti.
2. Let us remember the Mahatma who shook the world in a gentle way! Best wishes on Gandhi Jayanti.
3. On this Gandhi Jayanti may the spirit of truth and non-violence be with us.
4. Live simply so that others may simply live. Best wishes on Gandhi Jayanti.
5. It is easy enough to be friendly to one’s friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business. Good Wishes on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
6. It is easy enough to be friendly to one’s friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business. Good Wishes on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
7. It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. Good Wishes on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
8. There is more to life than increasing its speed. Best wishes on Gandhi Jayanti.
9. 2 October, the day which marks the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, one of the Greatest Human ever born in India. My best wishes to you on the day which celebrates non-violence and bravery.
10. On this special day, remember what Gandhiji taught and propagated. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Follow non-violence and be kind. Best wishes on Gandhi Jayanti.
Poems on Mahatma Gandhi
Yes, I am Gandhi
Born on a special day
When the whole world comes together
To rejoice for another year
Another year is no more and
Another one imminent.
What is your foresight
In this coming year?
Who else will achieve greatness
Who else will achieve grand things
In this approaching year?
Mahathma came to this earth
And planted some everlasting seeds
Seeds of love, joy, and freedom
He changed the karma of humanity
He was called Gandhi, yes Mahathma.
Some say he was born of Indian descent,
I simply say he was born of humanity
He was a selfless and gallant leader,
He taught the world to resist oppression
He did it with love, meekness, and humility.
When he was assassinated his body died
But his spirit never died with him
He unselfishly gave it to me and
Said give it to the whole world and ask:
Why does humanity still kill each other?
By Nhlanhla “Gandhi” Sikosana
A Father’s Vision
Shrouded in white,
A supportive wooden stick in one hand,
Walking towards the new era in sight,
He left his footprints on the historic Indian sand.
Upholding his virtues,
The ever lit candle of his beliefs will never cease,
So will the fruition of his toil from dusk till the dew.
Scrutinizing the progressive vision of this country,
Acting as a beacon light for his followers,
Striving to make the nation free,
A tolerant and non-violent country he tried to nurse.
His praises echo throughout,
His deeds guiding us in building a new nation,
Lifting us from inequality’s drought,
This is Mahatma Gandhi, our father, whose name we recite in exaltation.
By Yukta Hathiramani
Mahatma Gandhi’s favourite bhajans to songs that capture his work, life, and beliefs
1. Gun Dham Hamare Gandhi Ji
2. Suno Suno Aye Duniyawalo Bapu Ki Yeh Amar Kahani
3. Sabarmati Ke Sant Tune Kare Diya Kamal
4. Gandhiji Ne Sabko
5. Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram (Ram Dhun) one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favourite bhajans.
6. Vaishnav Jan To Tene Kahiye. Mahatma Gandhi loved this bhajan.